12 Change Text Case
Welcome to this demonstration on Bonus Tools – Change Text Case.
Change Text Case allows you to change the case between UPPER, lower, Title and Sentence for: Annotation Text, Model Text, Room Names, Area Names, View Names & View Titles on Sheets, helping keep your Company Standard in check.
This Tool is available for Revit 2012 and newer versions of Revit.
- To run the tool navigate to the Bonus Tools 1 Ribbon and the Power Tab and select Change Text Case .
- The Change Case dialog will appear.
- At the top middle choose the selection set: Current View, Current Selection or Entire Project to filter the Text selection.
- At the top right hand corner select the Text Type.
- At the top left hand corner select the case option: UPPER CASE, lower case, Title Case or Sentence case.
- Select the text you would like to change:
- To select the text you can either; tick the check boxes individually or highlight the rows using standard mouse drag and control key operations and click Select Selected button
- or click Select All button to select all Text in the grid
- or click Select None button to deselect all Text.
- To clarify the which text you are about to modify:
- Select the text
- Click Go to View
- Click Ok, the Revit View will change and highlighted the selected Elements.
- To force abbreviations etc. to stay a certain case, select Force text Format.
- To modify the list click Force Text Format Options button
- The Force Text Format dialog will appear.
- Click Add and add a new row and insert the text.
- To delete an entry select the row and click Delete.
- You can load a predefined/template list by clicking Load.
- Browse to the Text file, select it and click Open.
- Once loaded you will see the entries in the Force Text Format dialog.
- Click Ok to close the dialog to return to the Change Text Case dialog.
- To change text from one type to another.
- Select the select as shown below.
- From the Select Text Type drop down, select the new Text Type
- The selected text will display the chosen Type.
Note: the check boxes must be ticked.
- Make final modifications to Proposed text by clicking the cell and editing the text manually.
- Click the Update Text button (with Level View Names you might be asked if you want to rename the levels)
- At the end of the operation a confirmation dialog will appear with the number of renames and fails.
- Change Text Case also allows you to Export the Grid to a CSV file for further exploration within excel.
Note: The dialog by default when opened will display all the Text in the Project of type Text Note in the grid, at the bottom right is the total Text count in the grid.
Within grid you can see the element ID, the host View, the Current Text, Proposed Text (note that this will change when you toggle the case options), Type and Select. You can sort the grid by clicking any column header. You can change what is shown here by changing the Text Type and modifying the selection set.
Note: the Total selected is updating
Note: You may see the standard There is no open view...
Note: if the text spans over multiple views then it will only show the applicable text to the active view.
Note: the list can be created using notepad. The list should contain one entry per a line as shown.
Thank you for viewing this demonstration on Bonus Tools - Change Text Case.